What is Magnesium-Nitride?
Magnesium nitride is an inorganic molecule with the chemical formula Mg3N2. It’s part the cubic crystal system. At low temperatures, pure magnesium nutridide is a yellowish-green powder However, magnesium nitride that has a portion of magnesium oxide impurities appears grayish white.
The Molar mass of magnesium nitride is 100.95g/mol. This mineral’s density is 2.712g/cm3. Magnesium nitride is completely dissolved in acid and water, but partially dissolved in Ether and ethanol.
The melting point of magnesium nitride lies at 1500 degrees. Magnesium Nitride, as with many metal nitrides, reacts water to create ammonia. It is commonly used as a catalyst. React with acid or nonmetallic oxides in order to produce ammonium salts and magnesium salts.
Magnesium Nitride is a clay-like substance found in nature. Magnesium nitride has high corrosion resistance and greatly enhances the efficiency of production. Magnesium nitride has also high thermal conductivity, aswell being highly resistant to corrosion as well as resistance to temperature. Magnesium Nitride is of further significance because it serves as a catalyst to aid in the synthesizing of boron.
What is Magnesium Nitride used for?
1. Utilized as a catalyst in order to create the nitride elements that have high hardness and high thermal conductivity. It also provides corrosion resistance, wear resistance, and high temperature resistance. The first successful process of synthesis of cubic bore nitride, its catalyst was magnesium nitride.
2. Useful for high strength steel alloys for smelting. Magnesium nitride (Mg3N2) replaces the magnesium that is desulphurized during construction steel melts, which is helpful in increasing the density, strength as well as the bearing force of steel. In addition, the process of magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) desulfurization, can reduce the use of other additives, thus helping to decrease the cost of production of construction steel;
3. This is used to make special ceramic materials;
4. for the manufacture of a particular alloy foaming agent;
5. In the manufacture of special glass
6. Crosslinking of catalytic polymers;
7. To recycle nuclear waste
How to Produce Magnesium Nitride?
At present, the main methods for making magnesium nitride involve direct reaction method of magnesium powder with nitrogen, reaction method of magnesium and nitrogen in nitrogen plasma flow, magnesium coil explosion method in nitrogen atmosphere low pressure chemical gas complementing product method, self-propagating high temperature method for synthesis, the synthesis of nano magnesium, etc.
Recently, G. Soto et al. made amorphous magnesium oxide films with different ratios of Mg:N on Si substrates in a nitrogen-based molecular environment by an application of pulsed lasers. These methods limit their industrial production because of the high price, lengthy process, complex equipment operation, or the low yield of magnesium oxide.
While the direct reaction of magnesium powder with nitrogen is of industrial significance, the manufacturing from magnesium nitride needs higher temperatures for reaction and a longer reaction time. Additionally, the form of the particles isn’t perfect and easy to agglomerate that’s why they don’t meet the requirements of industrial quality. NH3 can be decomposed into Nand N2 – with broken bonds quicker than N2 and the decomposed H2 will prevent the formation MgO. So, ammonia can be used as a nitrogen source. Chen Faqin et al. Utilizing liquid ammonia as the nitrogen source for the preparation of magnesium nitride by direct nutriding of magnesium. The following conclusions can be drawn: Through thermodynamic analysis, liquid ammonia is able to react with magnesium powder far more easily than nitrogen to produce magnesium nitride. High-quality magnesium nitride, with the highest purity and uniform particles can be produced at 600 and ammonia pressure for 1h, after which it is heated to 800°C, with an ammonia flow rate of 500ml/min and the nitriding process takes 1 hour.
Magnesium Nitride Mg3N2 Disperser
We are a reliable global chemical material supplier & manufacturer that has more than 12 years’ experience the supply of high-quality chemicals as well as nanomaterials like silicon powder, nitride powder, graphite powder, zinc sulfide calcium nitride 3D printing powder and more.
If you’re in search of high-quality Mg3N2 powder, please feel free to get in touch with us to send an inquiry. (firstname.lastname@example.org)